Soap &mdash it gets a lot of use the in the bathroom and kitchen, but there are a lot of other ways to use it than to just clean up (did you know it can help detect a gas leak?). If you have any excess bars, from gifts or hotel goodies, put them to use with some of these clever uses after the jump.
These are a few of our favorite ideas for soap:
• Keep garden bugs off plant leaves by mixing it with water and spraying the solution on the leaves' undersides.
• Detect gas leaks by mixing it with with water and rubbing it on suspect pipe joints; if bubbles form, you have a problem.
• Drive nails easier with less risk of splitting the wood, by first rubbing it on the nail shank.
• Lubricate the metal rails of sticking desk drawers.
• Clean dirty windowsills by running the wet edge of a bar along them.
Check out the rest of the list over at ThisOldHouse.com.
Do you have any clever alternative uses for soap? Let us know in the comments!