I've been wanting a bike for quite some time, and while I'm most likely to pick up a vintage refurbished one at some point, a little bicycle eye candy never hurt anyone. See a few of our favorite city bike makers below:
Shown above the jump, from left to right:
1. Civia Loring Bikes, $875-$1395
2. Bowery Lane Bicycles, $695
3. Vanilla Commuter Bicycles, custom built. Deposits start at $1,500.
4. Gary Fisher Bikes, Simple City Model (as shown), $599-$969
5. Dutch Bike Co. Seattle,
Linus Mixte model (as shown), $565, Gazelle model (as shown), $1,349
6. Pashley Bikes, UK £ 475-615
7. Schindelhauer Bikes, Ludwig model (as shown), 1.495,-€
8. Note Design Studio and Abici, estimated around $1,000
We know this is only a sampling of the terrific bike makers out there. Do you have a favorite city bike design or maker? Make sure to give us (and other Re-Nest readers) your recommendations below!
(Images: as linked. Originally published 2010-07-08)