We enjoy living in Beverly Hills for the central location and the walkability. Measuring just under 6 square miles, Beverly Hills is small yet packed with a range of design inspiration from small duplexes to huge super mansions, great and affordable shopping (yes, there is way more here then Rodeo Drive) and delectable dining options. Check out 10 design destinations to check out when visiting Beverly Hills.
- The "hills": No, not the show on MTV but rather the real hills that sit high above the city and are juxtaposed to the 'flats'. The hills are stunning, colorful, interesting, and often change colors as the sun moves across the sky. Want a great view from the top? Head north on Doheny Drive and go all the way up the curvy road until you get to the top. Then turn around.
- Roxbury Park: This pretty park is located on the eastern edge of the city and is full of things to do from lawn bowling to tennis to BBQs. This park has tons of greenery (possible inspiration for your outdoor space?) and is accessible on a nice walk.
- Greystone Mansion: Oil heir, Edward Doheny (yes, the street is named after him) gifted the 55-room mansion to his son in 1926. The Gothic English exterior consisted of Indiana limestone, leaded glass windows and welsh slate. Named "Greys" after another estate in New York, the mansion now lays in the hand of the City of Beverly Hill's Greystone Advisory Council. Today, the huge home serves as a place for cultural events and offers a place in the hills for a gorgeous panoramic view of the flats below. And the American Film Institute was a key player in renovating the mansion to it's current state. Check out all of the movies that were filmed here and further information.
- Design Within Reach Beverly Hills Studio: The Beverly Hills outpost of DWR is in a brick building in the heart of the city. Surrounded by high-end fashion and jewelry shops (Chanel or Harry Winston anyone?), the modern home and accessories store is a welcomed stop to find great furniture and design elements for your home.
- The rooftop pool at The Thompson Hotel: The rooftop pool has amazing 360 views of Los Angeles and modern decor aesthetic. Of course the people watching is also a lot of fun! Enjoy an afternoon cocktail for an afternoon escape to a luxury hotel. Click here to get directions.
- The apartment building facades: While Beverly Hills is known for super-sized mansions, there actually are tons of apartment buildings and duplexes that line the streets. We often walk around our neighborhood for design inspiration and snap photos of the neat facades, all of them unique while offering interesting architectural lines. We suggest hitting up the blocks south of Wilshire and between Beverly Drive and Robertson Blvd.
- Celebrity Vault Gallery: While the white walls and bright lights mirror other galleries, the content of the Celebrity Vault Gallery on N. Canon Drive is unique and bold, featuring "real" celebrity shots and vintage celeb finds. One of our faves, Andy Warhol and his film "Trash" 1970 (pictured in gallery). And when you are done getting art inspiration, head next door for a slice at Mulberry Pizza. Yum!
- Beverly Hill's Farmer's Market: Live music, kettle corn, organic produce and one of the best selections of plants and flowers in the area, the weekend farmer's market is a great place to pick up affordable decor for your outdoor space. Take your pick of palm plants, tulips and our fave, orchids. Click here for all the information, including directions and time.
- Missoni Beverly Hills: Slated to open this Fall, the Missoni store will feature an extensive mix of the Italian designer's famous knitwear and colorful patterns and we can't wait! We absolutely love Missoni's patterns that offer serious design inspiration. We are *loving* the bed linens!
- The street lights: Street lights are not something noticed by most but we often remark about the interesting, disc-like street lights that line the streets in Beverly Hills. You can tell these were thoughtful additions to the layout of the city and we appreciate that. Spot them on the streets north of Wilshire between Beverly Drive and Roxbury Drive.
Images: 1,2,4,6,8,10 Rebecca Orlov, 3 -Greystone Mansion, 5-bhluxuryhotels.com, 7-celebrity vault, 9-missoni.com