This post is definitely inspired by my recent weekend up north. I had to travel 5 hours north of the city and usually I dread those drives, but it's hard not to enjoy it with all the beautiful leaves starting to turn. I even couldn't resist stopping to gather some. You can enjoy this short window of natural beauty a little longer with these 12 DIY home decor ideas using fall leaves.
Note: Consider preserving your leaves using glycerin first. Doing this will preserve the color, prevent them from crumbling and allow your beautiful creation to last longer. Here's a simple tutorial from eHow on how to do it.
If you're hosting Canadian Thanksgiving this year on October 13th, these projects will give your dining area and table that special autumnal touch.
1. Frame your autumn colored treasures, as spotted on Better Homes & Gardens.
2. Flaming Foilage Candle Holders, by Martha Stewart.
3. Fall Burlap Table Runner (try using real leaves), by Dream Book Design.
4. Wind Fall Leaf Mobile as seen on Good Housekeeping.
5. These are my decorated pumpkins from last year using leaves that I posted on The Sweet Escape.
6. Printed Leaf Garland, by Love Paper Paint.
7. A simple but beautiful leaf garland for your wall, by Garland of Grace.
8. Add some color to a store bought (or handmade) natural fall wreath like this one featured on Better Homes & Gardens.
9. Add some paint for a more modern look, spotted on Grow Creative Blog.
10. Create fall color plate settings for your dinner guests, as seen on Rustic Wedding Chic.
11. Use a paper punch to create some fall confetti for your table or just some fun decor, by Grow Creative Blog.
12. Use some old books as a backdrop to showcase some beautiful leaves and make a garland for your wall or mantle, by Simple As That.