On one of my frequent trips to the local dollar store, I was elated to find a huge box of foam core, and my brain immediately started buzzing with possible uses for it. Foam core can be a quick, inexpensive, and lightweight tool around the home whether you're a renter looking for temporary solutions, you're on a budget, or you just want a quick and easy craft project. Here are 10 of my favorite ideas for this handy material.
- Add Temporary Color to Your Bookcases: With some paint or fabric and foam board, you can add some pattern or color to your bookcases. This could be useful if you have built-ins that the landlord won't let you paint. If you aren't a fan of your kitchen cabinets, you could remove the doors and use this technique for the cabinet backs, making for more attractive open shelving.
- Kitchen backsplash: We recently featured a Renters' Solutions post on installing a tile backsplash, but if you're just looking for a bit of color or want to cover up a pre-existing tile backsplash, foam core could be an easier, less expensive way to get the trick done.
- Wallpaper: We've had a number of "Good Questions" throughout the years about how to use one's favorite paste-only wallpapers in a temporary way (like here & here), and several times, foam core has come up as the answer. It won't look exactly the same as a real wallpaper job, but if there's a print that you adore, large sheets of foam core hung up or propped against the wall can get you the basic look.
- Hanging Curtains: If you don't want to spend the money on wood or don't want to have to deal with a saw, these foam core pelmet boxes could offer an inexpensive but chic solution.
- Headboard: Foam core, batting, and fabric apparently make a good combination, since they can also be used to make an inexpensive, lightweight headboard.
- Hanging art without a frame: Getting a piece of art framed can often cost more than the art itself, and if you are looking for an inexpensive solution, foam core and Plexiglas can give you a sleek, modern look.
Just for Fun:
(Images: 1. Recently via Apartment Therapy, 2. House Pretty, 3. Sh*tty Chic, 4. Apartment Therapy, 5. P.S. I Made This via Apartment Therapy, 6. Apartment Therapy, 7. Design*Sponge via Apartment Therapy)