1. This stunning Danish-modern inspired glider and ottoman by Daniel Strack ($2,600) is crafted out of a variety of wood scraps, including walnut, mahogany, maple, cedar, oak, and hickory. Daniel is based in the Midwest and hand builds his pieces using found scrap wood and reclaimed materials.
2. Pacific madrone dining table from Urban Hardwoods ($6,850) handcrafted from a salvaged tree found in the Capitol Hill area of Seattle. I love the concept of this company, handcrafting one-of-a-kind pieces that have a unique story behind their beauty.
3. Wine barrel bistro tables from Heritage Salvage. Based in Petaluma, Heritage Salvage offers an array of recycled wood products and services, from handmade furniture and recycled building materials to custom design and milling.
4. Handmade reclaimed barnboard buffet and hutch from Vermont Woods Studios (starting at $5,730). If a piece of furniture could be considered romantic, it would be a piece like this, custom built from original parts of historic New England barns. If this hutch could talk...
5. Rustic Tivoli table from salvaged catalpa wood ($2,800). An elegant and sturdy custom made outdoor table by Gray Works Design. Gray Works offers custom-built tables and benches from salvaged pine, black walnut, American cherry, maple, catalpa and other varieties, based on availability.
6. Bar crafted by Blake Sloane from a ticket window and door salvaged from a Chicago alley. Blake seamlessly blends innovation and craftsmanship into bold works that are as much art as they are furniture.
7. Cavern cocktail table in salvaged oak from The Old Wood Co. This North Carolina-based company creates handcrafted furniture using reclaimed lumber taken from irreparable structures. They also use non-toxic oils and waxes and no-VOC finishes. Their work is proof that eco-friendly can also be beautiful and accessible.
8. Brookline bed, cherry wood, crafted by Lyndon Furniture. Lyndon uses sustainable methods, primarily the Single Tree Selection method, to harvest American hardwoods. They are also happy to work with customers to build custom pieces.
9. Celilo extension walnut dining table by The Joinery (starting at $2,915). The Joinery has been making handcrafted wood furniture for over 30 years, and their products are guaranteed for life. That alone is something quite special in an age when you have to pay extra for a two-year guarantee on a laptop.
10. Rise arm chair by Edwin Blue. Edwin Blue's tagline is "handmade modern" and that is a perfect description of their collection. Bold, contemporary pieces are handcrafted in their Kansas City studios using sinker cypress, FSC machiche, and VOC-free finishes.
(Images: As credited above.)
Re-edited from a post originally published 9.22.11 - JEL