One of my favorite things to do when I travel to a new destination is to find a garden or conservatory to visit. It may be an acclaimed one that I pinned to my "Gardens I Must Visit Before I Die" Pinterest board, or I might have just stumbled across it while out exploring. Regardless, in my book garden visits trump museums any day. Here are some of my favorite gardens that I've visited across the US, as well as gardens that I plan to see in the future.
1. Desert Botanical Garden, Phoenix, AZ.
2. Longwood Gardens, Kennet Square, PA.
3. University of California Botanical Gardens at Berkley, Berkeley, CA.
4. Ladew Topiary Gardens, Monkton, MD.
5. Ganna Walska Lotusland, Santa Barbara, CA.
6. The Huntington Botanical Gardens, San Marino, CA.
7. The United States National Arboretum, Washington, D.C.
8. Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens, Coral Gables, FL.
9. Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, Brooklyn, NY.
10. Chicago Botanic Garden, Glencoe, IL.
It's always wise to do a little research before you go. Many gardens have varied hours or days of the week that they are open and some even might require that you make a reservation. Some gardens have cafes on the premises, while others might allow a picnic lunch to be brought in. This by no means is an exhaustive list of gardens to tour in the US, so if you have a favorite garden or experience to share, please chime in!
(Images: As linked above.)