When space is at a premium, thoughtful gifts go a long way. Think outside — or above — the box with ten gift ideas that make the most of a small area!
1. Utilize corner space with a simple shelf like this one from Martina Carpelan, €95.
2. Save valuable table space with this hanging terrarium, from Score and Solder, $260.
3. Perfect for bedside reading if there is no room for a bedside table — the invisible bookshelf, from Dutch by Design, $39.
4. This cordless, rechargeable lamp needs only a wineglass to shine; from Uncommon Goods, $59.99.
5. Take advantage of patio or balcony space to invite some wildlife with a bird feeder designed by Eva Solo; from Emmo Home, $49.
6. Indulge fireside fantasies with a small tabletop fireplace, from Burke Decor, $500.
7. Quick-change frames keep kids' artwork (or your own!) from cluttering up valuable space; from Dynamic Frames, set of 3, $89.95.
8. This wireless speaker combines woofers and tweeters all in one compact box; from Jawbone, $199.95.
9. A convex mirror makes small spaces seem larger; this one from Omelo, starting at £220.
10. Use metallic surfaces to grow a vertical garden; from Urbio, this set, $120.
Want to gift something with an even smaller footprint? Consider a membership to parks, zoos, or museums. Or channel some Christmas Vacation (remember the Jelly of the Month Club?) with a monthly gift of fruit, flowers, or food (uh, bacon of the month club? Yes, please!)
Images: As credited above.
Re-edited from a post originally published 11.17.2011 - JEL