Do you have a cook on your gift list? Here are some of our top picks for green gifts. Some of them are made from sustainable materials, while others will last for years (even a lifetime!) or inspire earth-friendly living. Top Row:
1. Preserve Paper Cutting Board ($12.99-24.99): These durable cutting boards are made in the USA from 100% post-consumer recycled paper and are dishwasher safe. For more green cutting boards, see Top 5: Eco-Friendly Cutting Board Materials.
2. Scanwood Kitchen Utensils ($5.95-14.95 at Amazon.com): Danish company ScanWood has been making wood products since 1919. Their kitchen spoons, spatulas, and other utensils are made from sustainably harvested European wood such as beech and olive.
3. Tea Towels from Branch ($20): Made in India, these tea towels are 100% organic cotton and packaged in a recycled cardboard envelope.
4. Lucid Food by Louisa Shafia ($15.30 at Amazon.com): An inspirational handbook for veteran cooks and environmentalists as well as those who might be interested in seasonal cooking and green living but don't know where to begin.
5. Cast iron cookware (price varies): Cast iron cookware such as Dutch ovens from Le Creuset and skillets from Lodge are classic kitchen workhorses that will last for decades.
6. Iris Hantverk brushes (about $30 and up): This Swedish company has been hand-making brushes since the 19th century and makes beautiful vegetable brushes, scrub brushes, table brooms, and more.
7. Chef Republic Aprons ($28): Handmade in New York by a couple of artists dedicated to local, organic, and sustainable farming, these aprons are made from 100% organic cotton grown in Texas and non-toxic water-based inks.
8. Orka Vegetable Keep Sacks ($7.95-15): Made from cotton and linen, these handy sacks keep potatoes, onions, and garlic fresh and help prevent food waste.
9. Bite Reusable Produce Bags ($5): These stylish, reusable bags are durable, lightweight, and machine-washable.
10. WECK Canning Jars ($5-16.50 at Heath Ceramics): These beautiful German glass jars can be used for canning or food storage.
Our 2010 Green Gift Guide:
(Images: as linked)