Did you know you can take a trip around the world today for free...and from your desk? "How?", you might ask. By using Google Street View, which now allows virtual visitors around and inside many fascinating locations around the globe, all with a 360 degree view. Here are 10 of the most interesting places to visit right now during a lunch break...
1. The Tate Modern: Barring those fortunate enough with the option to jet set across the pond regularly, most of us will find some solace in the opportunity to visit the Tate Modern, Britain's national gallery of international modern artwork (the most-visited modern art gallery in the world!). Take a walk through the museum here.
3. The Museo Lamborghini: located in Sant'Agata is a virtual feast for the eyes for lovers of the Italian bull. What makes this tour even more special is the beautiful contemporary design of the museum itself, competing with the cars for best of show.
4. The Mazda Museum: the car company's Hiroshima museum feels eerily like a sterile lab. The white walls contrast well with the unique automobiles of Mazda history.
5. CERN: While the search for the Higgs boson at CERN might have been quite elusive, we get ourselves an easy peek at the Large Hadron Collider and the unbelievable technology used to find it.
7. J. Paul Getty Museum: The smaller, but older (and somewhat hidden) sibling of the world famous Richard Meier designed Getty Center, the J. Paul Getty Museum houses European paintings, drawings, sculpture, illuminated manuscripts, decorative arts, and European and American photographs, with grounds dotted with Greek, Roman, and Etruscan antiquities, of which over 1,200 are on view.
8. The Colosseum: Walk with the spirits of the gladiators of yore within the hallowed walls of the Roman Colosseum and marvel at the centuries old technology and underground labrynth that brought appeasing entertainment to the masses.
9. The Galapagos Islands: For those with a passion for science and history, how about visiting the protected isles of the Galapagos, made famous by one Charles Robert Darwin. The street view extends all across the island and out to the ocean with multiple views available here.
10. The Wieliczka Salt Mine: How's this for a unique destination: the Wieliczka Salt Mine is an subterranean museum with dozens of statues, three chapels, and an entire cathedral that has been carved out of the rock salt by the miners!
Check out more fascinating Google Street View interiors of landmarks, natural wonders, businesses, museums, and more.