To kick off the party season and our Entertaining month here on Apartment Therapy, we've put together a fun collection of party rooms from past San Francisco house tours. Some of the more spacious homes featured here have great built-in flow, but others are small spaces tricked out beautifully by the occupants to maximize the festive possibilities...
Pictured, from left to right:
• 1 Kelly and Jonathan's dining room isn't huge or high-ceilinged, but by hanging colorful curtains, installing bright, soft light, and adding a cute and functional bar, they've made this a perfect room for a fun dinner party.
• 2 This elegant dining room, lovingly decorated by Anne and Alex, encourages guests to linger over drinks and dessert, with its gorgeous artwork, lovely light coming from multiple sources, and calming blue walls. The French doors to the right open into the living room, and to the left is a butler's pantry leading to the kitchen; a perfect set-up for cocktails and dinner.
• 3 Lucky Rebecca and Roger have a nice big room that accommodates both a dining table and a place to lounge. We love the way they've decorated with deep, sexy colors, plush textures, and glamorous lighting.
• 4 An open kitchen can be a huge blessing when it comes to entertaining. Vicki and Richard have a bar where guests can lean and chat while they cook; great move to put the wine fridge and bar cabinets close at hand.
• 5 Guests are inclined to gather in the kitchen, and in a loft space like Peter's, it's almost inevitable. By installing a rolling kitchen island with a built-in wine rack and bar, Peter makes it easy to fix drinks for guests while they mingle pre-dinner.
• 6 Lori and Ken did a smart thing by placing a daybed on the border between the sitting area of their open-plan room and the dining/kitchen area. This makes for a natural corridor and also provides seating for guests on either side, allowing for a party to flow naturally throughout the room rather than to clog up a few spaces.
• 7 Melinda and David's dining room is perfect for cozy parties, with a fireplace for warmth and a bench in lieu of chairs along one side of the table.
• 8 Our own Monika outfitted her gorgeous loft perfectly for parties, with lots of luxe textured seating and, even more importantly, many soft light sources to provide little spots for guests to congregate.
• 9 Feeling nostalgic for summer and outdoor parties? Imagine dining al fresco at Sarah and Oliver's long backyard table... this could even work on a mild winter night, with a few rented mushroom heaters and hot cider or cocoa.
• 10 Yoko and Matthew's home is party-ready, complete with a built-in bar area and wine rack in a space that leads directly into their backyard. So pretty!
What's your favorite space for entertaining in your own home? How do you like to fix it up for parties?
For more house tour inspiration, visit our San Francisco House Tours gallery.