Lighting can make a small space seem larger, a modern room look warmer, and a painted wall feel richer. When you really put some thought into your lighting, it shows—it's the last layer of decorating that makes all the difference.
- A pendant lamp that casts patterned shadows across the wall adds to the drama of a room.
- An inset bar benefits from glass shelves. Flooded with light from above, the shelves and their contents seem more special.
- Back-lighting can visually transform cabinets and shelves from heavy storage pieces into lighter, airier objects.
- Combine an over-the-top pendant lamp with spotlights to make a room stand apart.
- An art collection can be vastly improved by using spotlights to draw attention to the paintings.
- Lighting can help to define the style of a room. For instance, the milk-white Deco pendants in the kitchen shown above give the room an early 20th century vibe.
- Vintage lighting (drippy chandeliers, Victorian sconces, classical table lamps) can be the perfect complement to curvy modern furniture.
- Skylights are great for small spaces, since they open up the ceiling, making a room appear taller and airier.
- Different lights create different patterns. The Arco lamp casts unique circles of light on the ceiling above.
- Feathers are a totally unexpected material for a pendant lamp, and they feel more comfortable surrounded by elegant objects.
To see the full tour of homes shown above, click through the links in the captions.
Photos: Jill Slater, Gregory Han, Xing, Sparrow King, Dana Hughes, Sarah Coffey, Liezel Strauss