Ah newlyweds. After the excitement of a wedding and honeymoon settles down, newlyweds are often faced with the overwhelming task of settling into a new, shared home together (unless of course they lived together previously, but they'd still enjoy a gift!). You can help make this task easier with some fun gift ideas. If they were lucky, they received many must-have items from their friends and family in the form of gifts from a registry, but just because they might already have a lot of essentials doesn’t mean you have to show up empty-handed on your first invite to their new home. We’ve gathered 10 ideas of housewarming gifts for newlyweds:
1. Painted portrait You might offer to buy them a portrait commissioned by a favorite local artist. It'd be a fun alternative to just a wedding photo in a frame, and portraits are really growing in popularity in interiors. Be sure to read some tips on how to commission one, first.
2. Extra place setting or two of theirs They probably got a full set of their choosing if they registered for gifts for their wedding, but you could always surprise them with a couple more settings and hint that you'd make a great dinner party guest. They could always hang anything extra on the wall.
3. Salt and pepper shakers We feel like this is something too small to have been included on a gift registry. And it's a fun way to leave them with a piece of your personality for their home! We've got lots of ideas: modern ones, cute and kitschy ones and ones that will make you smile.
4. Stationary/thank you cards They'll probably have a lot of them to write if they had a lot of gifts given to them, and it never hurts to have extra around. Extra points if you have them personalized.
5. Supplies for indoor gardens Unless you know for sure they don't like green things, a setup for an indoor garden would make a great gift for any sized home. And they have so many awesome options these days! Check out our Marketplace page for indoor gardens.
6. Cozy throw blankets It's hard to imagine while in the throes of the hottest summer ever, but at some point we'll want to snuggle up with a cozy blanket next to a fireplace. Give them a head start with a nice one.
7. A coupon for free help hanging art Offer to show up one day with a hammer, level and other tools to help them hang an art collage or just give them a second opinion as to where art should go. They'll love another set of eyes and hands helping. Brush up on your skills before you go: How To: Hang Your Artwork and Not Screw It Up
8. Personalized welcome mat Super cute idea and something you could make yourself. A Warm Welcome (Mat) For Everyone!
9. Dish/tea towels Because no one can really ever have enough. We've rounded up lots in different styles: natural ones, ones with attitude and lovely cotton ones.
Images — 1: Martha Stewart; 2: Rue; 3: Uncommon Goods 4: Twee Cards; 5: Woolly Pockets; 6: Organize.com; 7: Tools for Hanging Artwork; 8: Bethany Nauert and 9: paulehewlett