So you've got a computer and you've realized you want or need to setup a home office. It's really quite simple to set one up with just five items. Of course, you can add artwork and pieces of your personality into the mix — but really all you need are just five simple items to get started...
• 1. Desk but not just any desk — make sure it's a desk that suites all of your needs. If you have a small space and you use a laptop, maybe a laptop stand would make the perfect desk. Don't forget that one large, double desk could be beneficial and a space saving feature if you and your roommate need an office.
• 2. Desk Chair make sure this is a chair designed to be comfortable for as long as you'll be at the computer. If you're only spend an hour per day on the computer you don't need to break the bank on a Herman Miller SAYL, try something from IKEA for budget options.
• 3. Speakers range in price, size and of course performance. For a double desk, think about getting speakers that you can put on each side of the desk. If you have one small desk, look for small speakers. Speaker selection and placement is all about the size of your office and desk.
• 4. Desk Lamp is an important addition because overhead lighting can be too intense. A desk lamp can provide enough light on the desk area to prevent eye problems, and even enhance what you see. Overhead light can be too harsh and cast shadows, making it difficult to read the computer screen. We especially like LED task lighting technology for their energy saving lighting and some of the lamp designs.
• 5. Shelving provides ample space to store important items that you may not need on your desktop. IKEA LACK or EXPEDIT are great options for storage, no matter what size the office. If you don't have enough room for a shelving unit, try using filing cabinets.