Bold and Noble Flora Print at North Rock Gallery, Scotland
We get a lot of requests to list online galleries that sell affordable digital art and screenprints, and we've rounded up the best of them in a couple of posts, but we've yet to focus solely on the submissions we get from outside the US. We've seen a lot of these businesses popping up out of Australia, England, Germany, and France — here are 10 good ones.
- L'Affiche Moderne: Based out of France, this online gallery sells contemporary illustrations and photography by emerging European and Asian artists. Shown: When the world sleeps by Dan-ah Kim, starting at €29.
- k19: This new online gallery is headquartered Frechen, Germany, where they make abstract acrylic paintings on canvas and aluminum. Paintings are made-to-order in a variety of sizes and styles. Shown: Composition #TO14, starting at €125 for a canvas.
- Slumberbean: UK artist Slumber describes his subject, SlumberBean, as "totally bushed; he's always on the lookout for a place to rest his narcoleptic little noggin." The orange, bean-shaped whatchamacallit appears in all of Slumber's limited-edition giclees, each printed in editions of 100, signed and numbered. Shown: Towerblock, £60.
- Little Brown Pen: Photographer Nicole Robertson and illustrator Evan Robertson walk aimlessly around Paris, taking photos and making art. Shown: Paris in Blue, collection of four prints for $75.
- ISAK: Brought up "by a family of trolls in the heart of a Swedish forest," graphic designer Sandra Isaksson moved to the UK, where she creates contemporary art and decorative accessories influenced by Scandinavian style. Shown: Family Tree, €30.
- Mouta: Artist and designer Caroline Gomez owns and operates a small online shop out of her studio in France. Many of the objects are limited editions, produced in small but beautifully crafted quantities. Shown: Poster, €18.
- I Need Nice Things: This Australian company targets young collectors with small budgets, and they don't think "trend" is a bad word. Their mission is "to make contemporary art collectible, changeable and most important of all, affordable." Shown: Rain Drops, $49 AUD.
- Present and Correct: Based out of London, this online store sells their own handmade stationery, nostalgic vintage finds, and more. Their collection includes an eclectic mix of products that can be used to decorate your walls. Shown: Homophone Wall Cards, €10.
- North Rock Gallery: Founded in 2009 by Mark Sinclair and Suzanne Shearer, North Rock Gallery is located in Lerwick, a town in the Scottish Shetland Isles. Their online shop focuses on UK and European designers including ISAK, Rice, Donna Wilson, Lisa Jones, Orla Kiely and Phatsheep. Shown: Bold and Noble Flora Print, €38.
- New Blood Art: This online gallery features paintings, photographs, and prints from emerging artists who are studying or have recently graduated from art courses in the UK. Shown: 60's Summer Series 15 by Heymish, £200.
• 10 New Affordable Online Art Galleries
• Best Affordable Art Galleries 2010
• Best Affordable Art Galleries 2009: Online and Offline
Images: As credited in captions above