Designers always have tricks up their sleeves to be pulled out in challenging situations. We've gathered some of the most helpful small space design tips and tricks to get all you can out of any size space. And these tips are not solely for the square-foot challenged — they can work in every home.
- Hanging your drapery close to the ceiling will give the room a dramatic illusion of height.
- Consider a raised bed frame for storage room underneath.
- Use a pot rack to give a homey feel and take advantage of unused vertical space.
- Store an ottoman underneath your coffee table for extra seating. It's an added bonus if you can also store things in your ottoman.
- A standing open shelving unit in a room really helps separate two spaces in a studio, like the bedroom and living room, while letting light and air through and providing storage.
- Don't stray away from bulkier furniture just because your space is small. It can actually make the room feel larger than one with a collection of multiple smaller pieces.
- Make full use of corners with corner tables, shelves and benches.
- Consider open shelving in the kitchen or bathroom to help with storage problems. Just make sure you stock them in a visually thoughtful way.
- Store a bench under your dining table for more seating that can be tucked out of the way when not in use.
- Consider small nooks or closets for home office space. You can always close them off with a simple curtain.
...and one bonus tip to always keep in mind: double-duty furniture is your friend!
(Image: Heather's Pocket Skyline View)