Cradle-to-Cradle certification has become a gold standard for us in terms of meaningful and effective green accreditations. Thankfully, major product categories are being transformed due to C2C design requirements. Task chairs are one such example! Here are 10 chairs that are Cradle-to-Cradle certified for a truly green home office environment:
The C2C design approach aims to help companies develop products in which all the materials used are safe, beneficial, and designed to biodegrade naturally or be fully recycled. C2C certifications also address energy, water and social responsibility issues.
1. Leap Chair by Steelcase: Leap is up to 94% recyclable and has undergone a complete Lifecycle Assessment—from materials extraction through production, shipping, use, and end of life—to evaluate the chair's lifelong impact on the environment. It's also certified as a low emitting product and contains no mercury, PVCs, asbestos, CFCs, PBBs, HCFCs or methylene chloride.
2. Mirra Chair by Herman Miller: The Mirra Chair is constructed from steel, plastic, aluminum, foam, and textile, and is designed for material reuse, including recycling and composting, in a closed-loop system. Download the Environmental Product Summary [PDF]
3. Zody Task Chair by Haworth: The Zody is made with up to 51% recycled content and up to 98% recyclable materials, and receives a Gold C2C rating when it's manufactured with the following seat fabrics: Pendleton Woolen Mills Classic Wool Flannel, Victor Innovatex Eco Intelligent Polyester, or Designtex Climatex Lifecycle. It's also free of PBDEs, PVC, CFC, and chrome.
4. Aeron Chair by Herman Miller: The Aeron chair was designed to be durable, repairable, and easy to disassemble and recycle. From its earliest developmental stages, the Aeron's raw material selection and sourcing process emphasized environmental friendliness, with a preference for renewable, sustainable, and recycled source materials, including recycled pop bottles. It's up to 94 percent recyclable, contains up to 64 percent recycled content, and has no PVC.
5. Ara Chair by Orangebox: The Ara his specifically designed for easy disassembly in order to have the materials reused or returned to the appropriate sub suppliers to be recycled properly. Download the Environmental Information Brochure here [PDF].
6. Ahrend 250 Desk Chair: Made of 100% recyclable materials.
7. Foray Chair by Geiger: Foray was designed according to MBDC's Cradle to Cradle protocol for safe chemical content, easy disassembly, minimal packaging, and minimal waste. It's 93 percent recyclable and made with 49 percent recycled content.
8. Embody Chair by Herman Miller: The Embody's designer, Jeff Weber, believes that every part of the chair should have a purpose and nothing should be wasted. So all of the materials in the chair have been applied intentionally: purposeful, useful, and contributing to the health and well-being of the user. It is 95 percent recyclable, contains 42 percent recycled content, and has no PVC.
9. Think Chair by Steelcase: The Think Chair is 99% recyclable by weight, and disassembly takes just five minutes with ordinary tools. It weighs only 32 pounds and contains up to 44% recycled materials with no PVCs, CFCs, solvents, benzene, chrome, lead or mercury. Download Environmental Brochure [PDF].
10. Acuity by AllSteel, Inc: Designed and manufactured to have minimal impact on the environment, the Acuity is made without PVC components, has a recycled content greater than 45%, and the entire chair is 94% recyclable.
Read more about Cradle to Cradle certification here.
(Images: as linked)