If you're anything like me, you've eyed many a designer pillow and thought "I could make something like that!" or found a duvet cover with a color or pattern you wanted to tweak. Here are ten home sewing projects perfect for any home crafter — whether you're friendly with your sewing machine or barely on speaking terms.These projects can be completed by anyone who can sew a straight line and wield an iron and measuring tape. Several of them will be perfect for beginners (especially 3, 4, and 9), while others can help you learn a new skill (think piping and ruffles) and will require more patience.
If you don't sew at all, you can adapt several of these projects by using fusible hem tape or fabric glue such as Fabri-tac. In particular, check out Little Green Notebook or Eddie Ross for a no-sew sink skirt tutorial.
1. Roller blinds by Brett Bara for Design*Sponge
2. Scrap Fabric Table Runner by Sarah Rainwater for Apartment Therapy
3. Sink skirt by Real Simple
4. Quick duvet cover by Martha Stewart Living
5. Lined Curtains by The Purl Bee
6. Piped pillows by Sew, Mama, Sew!
7. Linen napkins by The Purl Bee
8. Ruffled shower curtain by See Kate Sew (find instructions for sewing a basic fabric shower curtain here)
9. Simple Envelope Pillow by Madigan Made
10. Plastic bag organizer by Martha Stewart Living
Images: As linked above.