Happy 2013! This is the time of year when we like to think about fresh starts: cleaning, organizing, and spending time getting our homes ready for the coming year. If you're looking for a simple project to get you started — whether it's a home improvement job or just something fun to keep you busy this winter — here are 10 ideas.
- 1. How to Build a Simple Indoor Swing (for Winter): This project is great for kids who've been cooped up indoors and need to burn some energy.
2. How to Make a Reading Nook: Tips on setting up a comfortable corner in your home for down time.
PROJECTS FOR YOUR BEDROOM
- 3. How to Make a Great Side Table from IKEA Frosta Stools: An inexpensive IKEA hack that makes a great bedside table.
4. How to Make a Raw Felt Headboard: This is one of the easiest headboard projects out there, and it's particularly well-suited to cozy winter bedrooms.
CLEANING AND ORGANIZING
- 5. How To Clean Your House in 20 Minutes a Day for 30 Days: A month-long workout schedule to get your home into shape.
6. How to Tackle that Closet Organization... Finally: Tips for letting go of your perfectionistic tendencies and grappling with a chaotic closet.
PROJECTS FOR YOUR BATHROOM
- 7. How to Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet: One of the best places to start fresh is right here, where an hour or two of cleaning can get you ready for the year ahead.
8. How to Make a Soothing Bath Soak for Sick Days: If you've got the winter grunge, here's a low-energy project that could make you feel better.
HEALTHY HOME PROJECTS
- 9. How to Donate and Recycle Common Household Items: Tips for what to do with all the junk you might be sifting through this time of year.
10. 5 Ways to Insulate Your Windows for Winter: If you've got drafty windows, now's the time to take care of them.
(Originally published 1.3.11 - JL)