- Yotel Airport Hotels, UK: Located on airport premises and designed for people who have a layover, these mod pods are equipped with a "techno wall" that houses the TV, a fold-out desk, electrical outlets, and a tiny closet.
Small Space Idea: Streamline a room by consolidating all your tech and storage along one wall.
- Ace Hotel, New York: The dark walls and retro furnishings in this Garment District hotel are very hip. The layout is smart: a desk behind the bed creates a casual division between sleepspace and workspace.
Small Space Idea: Designate zones and subtly section them into different functional areas. Tables, desks, and shelves are multipurpose room dividers.
- Maff Apartment, the Hague: Designed by Queeste Architecten and located in the Netherlands, this attic space is a long or short-term holiday rental. Furnishings and storage line the edges of the room, moving seamlessly from bed to banquette to kitchenette.
Small Space Idea: Custom furniture with built-in storage allows you to maximize square footage.
- Good Hotel, San Francisco: Beds at this budget hotel are equipped with underbed storage, built in side tables, and a headboard with clip-on reading lights.
Small Space Idea: Make your bed work harder by using the space underneath for storage. Sconces or headboard clip-on lights free up the surface of the bedside table.
- The Jane, New York: This hotel used to be a sailor's boarding house. The renovation, designed by Sean MacPherson and Eric Goode, uses twin beds to create a dual lounge and sleeping space, while narrow ledges offer storage.
Small Space Idea: Make your bed double as your couch. Consider adding a wall-mounted ledge beneath a window, where it adds architectural interest and creates more surface space.
- Dasparkhotel, Austria: The hotel transformed concrete pipes into sleeping quarters using a platform, double bed, storage, light, power, sleeping bags, and blankets.
Small Space Idea: A small platform creates a multi-functional bedroom when you build in storage, lighting, and space to sleep.
- The Grand Daddy Hotel Airstream Park, Cape Town: On the roof of the Grand Daddy Hotel, you'll find a skypark with seven stationary Airstream Trailers that can be rented for the night. Each one has a different theme, developed by a local artist or designer.
Small Space Idea: Use ceiling-mounted cabinets to add storage. Don't be afraid of color and pattern—they can help to unify a small space.
- The Drake Hotel, Toronto: Located in the West Queen West Arts District and designed by a team that included Toronto-based 3rd Uncle Design, the Drake's rooms feel like well-planned studio apartments.
Small Space Idea: A long ledge against the wall creates a space-saving desk. Create a multipurpose "closet" with a high clothes rack, a low bench beneath (which can double as a storage surface and extra seating), and built-ins to hide closed storage.
- Danhostel, Copenhagen: Hinged bunk beds (La Literal Bunk Beds by Lievore, Altherr & Molina) are mounted to the wall, showing a panel of brightly colored fabric when closed. A wall-mounted desk and sconces also save space.
Small Space Idea: Use smart, streamlined furniture and bright pops of color to make your space feel modern and open.
- The One Hotel, Cambodia: The most remarkable feature of this hotel room is the combination headboard-turned-bathroom. On one side is the bed; on the other is a mirror and a sink counter.
Small Space Idea: The back of one thing is the front of another. Any vertical, freestanding surface can play dual roles.
Photos: Yotel, Ace Hotel, Maff, Good Hotel, The Jane, Dasparkhotel, The Grand Daddy, The Drake, Gubi, The Drake, The One Hotel