One of the best impulsive decisions I made at the beginning of the year (while perusing Anthropologie.com in bed just before midnight) was buying a good quality solid color coverlet. Now that the weather's cooling down again, it is back on my bed, where I can appreciate its good looks and perfect weight.
In my case, I opted to buy number 4 from this list. My husband and I both love it, because it's colorful without being overwhelming and warm without being hot. (We live in Baltimore and use the coverlet in every season but summer.) I also think I'll be happy with the solid color longer than I would a pattern. Here's a list that includes our choice, plus nine similar options.
1. Braid quilt from West Elm (twin, full/queen, and king), $129-$169
2. Pick-Stich quilt from Pottery Barn (twin, full/queen, and king/cal. king), $79-$179
3. Mahalo quilt from CB2 (full/queen and king), $179-$199
4. Marseille coverlet from Anthropologie (queen and king), $198-$228
5. Navy Pickstitch matelasse from Serena & Lily (twin, full/queen, and king), $230-$350
6. Flip-Side quilt from Garnet Hill (twin and double/queen), $148-$168
7. Rosette quilt from Anthropologie (twin only), $129.95
8. Real Simple Dune sea glass coverlet from Bed Bath & Beyond (twin, full/queen, and king), $79.99-$129.99
9. Trina Turk Santorini turquoise coverlet from Bed Bath & Beyond (twin, full/queen, and king), $99-$149
10. Martha Stewart Collection Cornice quilt from Macy's (twin, full/queen, and king), $99.99-$149.99
(Images: As linked above)