We recently moved into a new place where the previous tenant had contact-papered the bathroom windows, and a stubborn layer of glue just doesn't want to come off. We've been looking into more easily removable window films, and we've found a bunch of options — from inexpensive to pricey, basic to baroque.
There's no standard size for window films — sizes range from generous rolls to small sheets that would just cover the bottom panes. (The variation in sizes is most likely due to the wide variations in windows themselves.) Nonetheless, sellers list the price per sheet, and most sheets are designed to cover at least a 24" x 48" window.
The types of designs you'll find at big box stores aren't always the most attractive (although Home Depot and Lowe's carry some nice basic frosted window films). For more modern styles, we like the options at stores like Design Public, 2Jane.com, DesignYourWall.com, Scandinavian Design Center, and Trove.
- Emma Jeffs pearl window film from Design Public, $76 for 37" x 52"
- Emma Jeffs obra window film from 2Jane, $76 for 37" x 52"
- Splinter transparent glass window film from DesignYourWall.com, $65 for 18" x 49.5'
- Steps translucent glass window film from DesignYourWall.com, $65 for 18" x 49.5'
- Strossel Design film from Rare Device, $40 for large (18-7/8" x 47-1/4")
- Strossel Design Orkidé from Scandinavian Design Center, $20.95 for small (13-1/3" x 38-1/2")
- CPFilms window film (white or black) from Amazon.com, $24 for 24" x 6.5'
- Graham & Brown plain frost film from grahambrown.com/us, $12.50 for 27" x 59"
- Trove printed window film at trove.com, $99 for 48" x 48"
- Gila frosted privacy window film at Lowe's, 4' x 6-1/2'
- Maria Linn linjer window film from Scandinavian Design Center, $37 for 19.7" x 39.4"
- Brume graphic dots window film from brume.com, £45 for 59" x 39.4"
- Brume white frosted window film from brume.com, £29 for 47.3" x 39.4"
- Amorf frost window film from IKEA, $5 for 59" x 20"
- White small circles window film from windowfilm.com, $16.95 for 48" x linear foot