Wanna have a great day today and every day? Get a great start. It's easy to set a positive and productive tone if you do (or avoid doing) some key things first thing in the morning. C'mon, it only takes 10 minutes.
1. Don't hit snooze — Getting a late start only leads to morning stress so when that alarm goes off, try try try to get your feet on the floor the first time.
→How to Avoid Hitting Snooze in the Morning
2. Write something down — Did you have any good ideas or dreams while you were asleep? Get 'em down right away. Your relaxed, sleeping brain is open to ideas that you might not come up with while preoccupied with daytime activities so take advantage of any flashes of genius you have.
→ The Simple Secret to Cultivating Creative Thinking
3. Forget yesterday, focus on today — Still stressed about things that happened yesterday? Why? You can't change it so let it go.
4. Think of something you're grateful for/ excited about — There's always something to look forward to.
5. Leave your phone alone — Do yourself a favor and log at least 10 minutes of life sans screen time first thing in the morning. You can still check the weather, your email and the news, just don't do it while lying in bed.
→ Tech Disconnect: I'm Banishing My Phone from My Bedside
6. Drink a glass of water — It never hurts to be hydrated so get a jump start on your daily water intake first thing.
→ I Got Healthier This Summer in 10 Seconds a Day
7. Get some natural light — Throw open those curtains right away! Getting a little sun will make your brain wake up and realize it's time to function. Waking up in the dark on these long winter mornings? Take a mid-morning walk, open a window and do your best to get a little light. It'll perk you right up.
8. Stretch — Get your blood flowing with a little light stretching.
9. Make the bed — It's not only us, science says making your bed will make your whole day better.
→ Make Your Bed! For Productivity, Profit and Peace
10. Do something you don't want to (and cross it off your list) — Dreading doing a chore you hate is so much worse than actually doing it. Get it out of the way right away and free up that mental energy.
Re-edited from a post originally published 10.17.14-NT
Want to see more from Apartment Therapy?
(Image credits: Abby Stone; Monica Wang; Alexis Buryk)