The most simple, yet least followed, tip to keep your flowers alive: Change the water!
• Add a small mixture of aspirin and sugar to the water, along with some type of antibacterial agent like vodka, vinegar or even a little bleach. Just a ¼ of a teaspoon is all you need.
• Drop a copper penny in the vase.
• Cut the stems at a 45° angle with sharp scissors every day.
• Hold the stems underwater while you cut them.
• Remove any leaves that are submerged under the water.
• Cull any dying flowers as soon as possible.
• Keep the flowers away from any drafts (even fans!) and out of direct sunlight.
• Keep flowers away from fruit and other plants. Other flora can give off the gas, ethylene, which can cause flowers to wilt prematurely.
• Keep flowers away from appliances, like televisions and computers, which give off heat and can cause flowers to dehydrate.
• Clean your vase before you put flowers in it. Make sure you rinse out all of the soap!
Image: Designed to the Nines