We didn't want to let Home Projects month slip by without covering the affordable and ever-popular IKEA hack. Whether you're a skilled DIYer with your own workshop at home or someone who'd rather shop than sew, here are 10 sources and projects — hopefully you'll find one that suits you.
- Slipcover It: Swedish company Bemz has a US site where they market removable, washable slipcovers for IKEA sofas, armchairs, and cushions. The 100% cotton prewashed covers include collections from Marimekko and Designer's Guild (shown).
- Stick a Decal on It: Based out of the Netherlands, Mykea is an online company that makes peel-and-stick decals for the most popular IKEA casegoods, shelves, and cabinets.
- Paint It: According to our Reader Intelligence Report, the key to making painted IKEA furniture look good is using plenty of primer!
- Stencil It: To really dress up an IKEA piece with paint, try a cool modern stencil, like the one Lena Corwin used to update her basic wooden dresser.
- Upholster It: We're not talking about your average upholstery job, but rather using fabric to update a bookcase or shelving unit. It's easy — click here for the low-down.
- Swap Table Tops and Legs: IKEA sells a bunch of different options for tabletops, counters, and legs that can be mixed and matched. The desks shown above were made from Lagan Countertops with Vika Inge Legs.
- Tuft It: Whit and Rachael Gardner of Our Mid Century upgraded their Karlstad Sofa by taking the cushions to a local upholsterer for button tufting. Total cost = $40.
- Cut It: Maxwell made his IKEA Frosta Stools into a two-tiered bedside table by cutting down the legs.
- Repurpose It: Taking IKEA furniture out of context gives it new life. For example, kitchen cabinets can easily be repurposed to make a floating storage credenza.
- Decoupage It: The magnetic map board shown above was made from a $15 metal IKEA Spontan Board decoupaged with vintage maps.
Photos: Bemz, Mykea, Design Sponge, Lena Corwin, The Nearest Future, Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan, Our Mid Century, Sarah Coffey, Michael Jon Watt