What are your plans this weekend? Shopping, decorating for the holidays, tackling a craft project, or looking for playlist suggestions for your holiday party? Here are a few tips and ideas for things to do.
- Bring home that warm, cozy feeling by decorating with holiday lights, whether you put up a tree or just light some candles. Or, check out the country's most famous tree all lit up at Rockefeller Center.
- Celebrate a long-time tradition by going to see your local production of the Nutcracker, or if you're looking for a more dystopian story inspired by the classic ballet, go and see the Nutcracker in 3D at the movies.
- Save money and spend some quality time crafting your own holiday decorations. For ideas, click here, here, and here.
- Enter to win the latest holiday giveaway items from our sites — every weekday, we're posting new home decor, tech, cooking, kids, and green gifts!
- Give back by donating money to public schoolteachers who need furnishings and supplies for their classrooms.
- Super quick weekend project — hang some hooks in the hallway for those winter coats that have been piling up on a side chair.
- Get a jump on those DIY gifts you're planning (the terrarium in a jar, the homemade soy candles, etc).
- Get yourself in the holiday spirit by gathering your favorite songs into a seasonal playlist.
- Take a trip to the bookstore and grab a couple new design books to fill out your library or give to a friend. Or, if you're looking for other shopping tips, check out our weekly national sales calendar.
- If you're not a fan of the holiday season and would rather take a break from talk of decorating and gift-giving, see this post for ideas on making your place homey without seasonal decor.
Photos: (1) Tanya Lacourse, The Nutcracker in 3D (2), Elsie Marley via Creature Comforts (3), Apartment Therapy Holiday Giveaway 2010 (4), Apartment Therapy | Donor's Choose (5), Sarah Rainwater (6), Laure Joliet (7), Courtesy of Ernie (not Bert) (8), Random House (9), Gregory Han (10)