The downside of a lot of typical American neighborhoods is that from the outside, all of the houses look almost exactly alike. But if you want to make your house stand out from the pack, or just make it a little easier for visitors and delivery men to find your home, there plenty of things you can do to give your home a unique look that don't involve remodeling. Some of them might even be allowed by your HOA.
Above: A fenced front patio gives a home a little more character and presence — and adds a wonderful new spot to enjoy the outdoors.
2. Why not try something a little different with your front walkway?
3. Flower beds in modern shapes are a great complement to a modern walkway.
4. Painting the front door in a brilliant color is a great way to get a big impact for only a little effort.
5. A couple of citrus trees flanking the front door doesn't hurt, either.
6. Plant a hedge of herbs (like this lavender) along one side of your driveway.
7. Plant a vegetable garden in your front yard.
8. Flower boxes are a beautiful complement to the right style of house.
9. Invest in a really lovely garage door. (This one's definitely on the pricey side, but since garage doors occupy so much of the facade of your house, changing them out can have a really big impact.)
10. Try a green driveway, with pavers surrounded by ground cover. It's a lovely look, and also much friendlier to the environment.
11. Or try a winding drive like this one, with poured concrete interspersed with gravel, for a more picturesque look.