I regularly cruise around the local salvage yard and my neighborhood on garbage pick-up days for curb finds that can be saved. Every day people toss out broken furniture that can be reused in other ways. Sure, not everything is salvageable but these ideas will get you looking at your belongings and even Marketplace finds with a new perspective.
Ideas for Repurposing Old Dressers
- Make your own cozy bench seating with good bones from an old dresser. Create Inspire tried their hand at it with marvelous success.
- Rearrange old dresser drawers and then nail them in place to create a wall unit like never before, as seen on Sunlit Spaces.
- We can never get enough storage in the kitchen. That's why this tutorial for a chef's island, on Heir & Space, is ideal with room for plates and cups below and a workspace on top.
- My mouth dropped when I found this great project on Practically Functional. Take an old tall dresser and turn it into a mega hamper. How great is that? No more unsightly plastic baskets!
- What a nifty use for a caned chair back in great condition! Jessie of Nine Red had the genius idea to repurpose one into an earring rack.
- As someone who always wants to give every wobbly chair a good home, this clever use of chair backs, by All Things Thrifty, is right up my alley. Instead of taking up floorspace, reuse ornate chairs as picture frames on your walls.
- There is strength in numbers when it comes to chairs. A pair of broken down chairs are combined to make a bench in this detailed DIY from My Repurposed Life.
- Does it get easier than this? A chair with no seat can find new life in the garden. Slip a planter into the space of the seat to create an unusual plant stand as seen on Better Housekeeper.
- If it's barely hanging on, repurpose an old cabinet door into a serving tray. No matter if it's made of wood or laminate, our tutorial breaks down the steps.
- Take the doors off on outdated media center. This DIY by Rambling Renovators turns a no-longer functional cabinet into a children's costume closet. Easy storage means easy cleanup.
- Another great repurposing trick geared for little ones is revamping an old cabinet into a children's desk. With these instructions on eHow, you can even add a chalkboard element.