Once we have the freedom to paint (right now our landlord keeps us at a plain, if inoffensive, white), we're not sure where we'd start. We might just go wild. But Oregon Home has a collection of paint-selection tips geared towards toning down the over-eager.
The guiding philosophy of these helpful hints is typified by tip #11: "Buy a cute pair of shoes on impulse, but work methodically when you choose paint colors for your home." Here are some others we liked, in a similar vein:
• Don't let your burgeoning paint chip stash become your sole inspiration station.
• If you're outfitting a new home, don't paint a room's walls and then shop for furniture, rugs and artwork.
• Don't view decorating shows on TV as reality.
• If you have to use the color of the moment, put it in accent pieces rather than on the walls.
• Don't turn your home's interiors into a patchwork quilt of colors.
See entire list here.