Like Apartment Therapy, Jonathan Adler's manifesto begins with the belief that your home should make you happy. Within this idea lies Jonathan's colorful, sculptural and whimsical designs that will make you smile. We recently came across a 15 fun and fearless tips by Jonathan that will inspire your own home design. Check them out after the jump....
1. Mix and match with panache. Don't be tentative with patterns. If you keep your color scheme restrained, you can approach patterns with wild abandon.
2. When in doubt, repeat, repeat, repeat your patterns.
3. Don't fit in. Scale is the most under-considered piece of the decorating puzzle. Put a Gothic throne in a studio apartment.
4. Paint your floors white. You'll feel carefree.
6. Layer, layer, layer. Unexpected touches are the soul of the MAXIMALIST HOME: A painting hung on a bookcase, a chandelier in a closet, a brass lion's-head door knocker in a modern apartment.
7. If you're a clean modernist, try white grass-cloth for a little warmth.
8. Orange is the poppiest color and the answer to most decorating conundrums. Lacquer your front door orange. Pique your neighbor's curiosity.
9. Replace white walls with unexpected neutrals like camel, olive, or baby blue.
10. Put regal furniture in your bathroom.
11. When in doubt, add mirrors for extra glamour, put a piece of mirror on top of a cabinet to make it sparkle or in a niche to create the illusion of depth.
12. Primary colors are happy colors – use them abundantly.
14. Go for grandeur with a giant chandelier.
15. Make your own – Personal style means having a space that's comfy but filled with stuff that has meaning to you. It should hold things created and inspired by passionate people. Personal style should make you happy and happiness is chic.
[All images via Jonathan Adler]
Here are more design tips to help make your home comfortable: