The mudroom, laundry room and garage are often thought of as the 'dirty' rooms of a house, and as such let them get messy and unorganized. But the better you get these spaces under control the better you'll feel about actually being in, and using, these rooms. From implementing creative reuse to using smart storage tools, our friends at Real Simple have compiled a super handy list of easy solutions to keep these rooms under control:
Here are a few highlights from their list:
1. Waterproof recycling bags make it a cinch to divvy up recyclables. The handles let them be carted to the curb easily.
2. Tuck a cardboard six-pack container in a tote bag and you’ve got an organizer for garden tools.
7. Forget buying cardboard storage boxes. Snag empty copier-paper boxes from the office and use them to hold goods at home.
10. Install a drapery rod in the laundry room as an extra-long drying rack for sheets and tablecloths.
13. Place the lids of large plastic storage tubs on the floor underneath pet-food bowls to contain spills, or use them in the garage or the mudroom to hold wet boots.
14. Store shoes, ornaments, wrapping paper, and other objects in empty wine boxes.
18. If you have an unused chest of drawers, use it to store hats and gloves in the mudroom.
19. Wash socks in a mesh bag and never lose a pair again.
• Read the full list: Real Simple
(Image: Jess Watson/Apartment Therapy)