Whether your reason for wanting to take more steps is to be fit or just to stop your Fitbit from nagging you, it's still a valiant goal that deserves more attention. And you can do it without hardly trying, if you adopt several of these simple habits that sneak extra steps into your day.
Walk More at Home
- Do laps around the kitchen while you wait for your coffee or for something to cook or boil.
- Do laps in and out of the bathroom while you brush your teeth.
- When you walk out to get the mail, bring it back envelope-by-envelope.
- When you get home from the grocery store, bring the bags in one at a time.
- Consciously leave your phone across the room from where you're sitting so you have to get up to check any text or notification.
- While you're watching TV, get up and take laps around the coffee table while the commercials are on.
- Time for your favorite Netflix show? Watch it on your phone while you walk laps around your home, your yard or your block.
Walk More During Work
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Pace while you're on the phone.
- If you're able and can be away from the computer, take long calls on your cell phone and take a walk outside while you listen in.
- Or suggest to your in-person meetings that you take a walk to chat instead.
- When you need to share something with a co-worker, walk over to their desk (or down the stairs, or to the other building) instead of messaging or emailing.
- Take the stairs to use the bathroom on the floor above or below yours.
- Take the stairs to use the break room on the floor above or below yours.
Take More Steps While You're Out and About
- Take the farthest parking spot every time.
- Or, you know, don't drive at all.
- Get off the bus or train one or two stops before you need to and walk the rest of the way.
- Or walk as far as you can stand to walk along your usual train's route before hopping on.
- Every time you grocery shop, go up and down every aisle, even if you don't need to (although this one will up your steps, it might not actually help your waistline). You can do this at any big retail store, too, even if you went in for one thing.
- Then walk the cart all the way back to the store when you grocery shop.
- Vow to never use a drive-thru again.
What ways do you squeeze extra walking into your daily routine?