Name: Jim W.
Location: Battery Park City, NYC
Size: 630 sq.ft. One bedroom condo
What inspired you?
The view, busy-ness, classic furniture, and grids
1. Interior is focused towards the view of the Hudson River, Ellis Island, and the New Jersey shore.
2. Minimal furniture provides a respite from the busy-ness of the city. The 80s-era built-in shelves, mirrored walls, and moldings were removed; the walls were stripped of wallpaper and faux finishes, and painted pure white. [more below]
...3. Classic Eames, Nelson, Breuer, and Mies furniture is complemented by the contemporary lighting, tables, and Flor carpet tiles.
4. Carpet and furniture on an angled grid provide tension to the walls. The angle, oriented to the river view, relates to the overlapping street grids of lower Manhattan.
1. Violate the given grid of the space.
2. Consider user needs before style.
3. Use small scale pictures and accessories and open-leg seating to feel open and spacious.
4. Move furniture away from the walls (many other rooms remind me of spinning a room and all the furniture is flung to the perimeter walls).