We've posted on creating your own rain barrel before, but here's another great detailed how-to for the budget conscious that can be done for about $25 ...
From Nashveggie, the following is a brief overview of the materials required. The photos speak for themselves, but be sure to visit Nashveggie for detailed instructions complete with an overflow valve and screen for incoming water.
- Water container: The writer was able to find an empty barrel at a local farm store that once contained olives. Ensure you use a food grade barrel for this project to keep your plants safe from chemical leaching.
- (1) 3/4″ Male Hose Bibb (I used a no kink bibb)
- (2) 3/4″ PVC Female Adapter
- (1) 3/4″ tapped Male Hose to Male adapter
- (2) 1″ Galvanized or Brass Washers
- (4) #18 O-rings (1″)
- Teflon Tape
- 1″ Hole Drill Bit
- (1) Brass Hose Cap
- 18″x18″ Square Metal Screen
- (8) Aluminum Self-starting Screws
And for some rain barrel decorating ideas, check out the Rain Barrels on Parade.
Via Nashveggie (including photos).