It's been hot here in the northeast, and my ceiling fan has been working hard. Here are some of my favorite tips for cleaning and maintaining your fan.
1. Reverse your ceiling fan: ceiling fans should blow counterclockwise in the summer, and clockwise in the winter.
2. Use an old pillowcase to clean the blades: slide it over each blade, and wipe clean.
3. Turn the ceiling fan off when you leave a room: fans do not cool the room, they cool you by moving air.
MORE CEILING FANS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• All About Ceiling Fans: Facts, Info & Tips
• Best Ceiling Fans 2011
• Haiku Ceiling Fan: Quiet & Efficient
(Image: Tara Bellucci / Clytie & Claudia's Storied Pieces House Tour)