Mulching the soil surface in your potted plants or garden does a lot more than provide a nice, finished appearance. Reasons to mulch and some alternatives to chipped wood below the jump:Why mulch?
- Mulching holds moisture in the soil. This can really help with potted plants, where small soil quantities can lose moisture quickly.
- Mulch protects the earth from the sun, thus reducing weed growth.
- A thick layer of mulch can actually insulate plants from freezing temperatures in winter gardens.
Some mulch ideas:
• 1 river rocks, via Centsational Girl
• 2 sea glass, like this from Maritime Girl's Etsy shop
• 3 seashells, via Eden Makers
• 4 colorful glass from Apartment Therapy Los Angeles' Make Your Own Succulent Garden
• 5 marbles, via Soul of the Garden (image by Tom Spencer)