I know a few people out there who have taken the plunge and canceled their cable, now relying on Netflix as their main source for entertainment. Now that Netflix has a streaming-only plan, there are sure to be more people going in this direction. With that in mind, here are 4 quick tips to get the most out of your Netflix subscription.
1. Follow @queuenoodle to get automated updates on Netflix instant movies that are about to expire. The one problem with instant streaming on Netflix is that that movies can and do expire. Queuenoodle's tweets even include star ratings so you know which movies to skip.
2. Hack your Netflix queue to upgrade your disk plan for free. We covered this recently on how to upgrade your disc plan for free using a method that is completely legal by Netflix's terms of services.
3. Useful keyboard shortcuts while watching instant on your computer:
- Space – Toggle Play/Pause
- Enter – Toggle Play/Pause
- PgUp – Play
- PgDn – Pause
- F – Full-screen
- Esc – Exit full-screen
- Shift+Left arrow – Rewind
- Shift+Right arrow – Fast Forward
In full-screen mode:
- Ctrl+Shift+Alt+M – Menu<
- Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C – Codes; frame rate plus other info
- Ctrl+Shift+Alt+D – Display A/V Stats on-screen
- Ctrl+Shift+Alt+L - Logging window
- Ctrl+Shift+Alt+P – Player Info
- Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S – Stream bit rate and manual rate selection
4. Netflix Remote Control Secrets: Tech of the Hub came up with these tips for watching Netflix on your Apple TV:
- While watching a show or movie, hit the up arrow twice on the remote. A TiVo-like channel banner will be displayed. This banner displays a thumbnail of the show, description and rating.
- Clicking the remote's down arrow displays a progress bar with hash marks added in. It breaks up the program into twenty sections of equal length. For a regular US TV show, it results in a skip of two minutes and a few seconds. For a two hour movie, it's a six minute skip. By hitting the left or right arrows on the remote, one can jump between the increments. Very convenient as a quick way to get to your favorite scene.
- Holding down the "Menu" button on the remote exits from any portion of the Netflix player and returns to the top ATV menu.