I have always been impossible to wake up in the morning. In fact, my mom loves to recount the stories about how the only way to get me out of bed was to pour cold water on my forehead and soak my pillow. (That’s right, Ma. Now the whole world knows!) Nowadays, thanks to a little post traumatic stress from my waterboarding mother, I can usually rise and shine on time. But for those still in need of a little jolt in the AM, check out these five great devices that are sure to get you out of the sack and up on your feet.
1. Carpet Alarm Clock A bedside carpet embedded with a LCD clock. To turn off its alarm, you must physically step on the carpet.
2. Sfera Retracting Alarm Clock A radio alarm clock that hangs above your head and, when set, gradually dims in light intensity and fades music as you fall asleep. When the alarm goes off in the morning, you must give the Sfera a whack to continue snoozing. But each time you do, the Sfera retracts closer and closer to the ceiling until you must finally stand up to shut it off.
3. SnūzNLūz When you snooze, you lose! This alarm clock uses wifi to connect to your online bank account and automatically contributes money to an organization of your choice each time you hit snooze. Select an organization you really hate to make sure you don’t sleep in! — this ThinkGeek original product was an April Fool's joke (but it isn't such a bad idea!)
4. Aphelion When this alarm clock goes off, it hurls a ball across the room. You must first find the ball and put it back in place to activate the snooze function. Unfortunately, this alarm is just a concept at the moment. Similar alarms do exist, like the Flying Alarm Clock, but they aren’t as pretty too look at.
5. Tocky Touch Rolling Alarm Clock Then, of course, there’s little Tocky who rolls off the bedside table, forcing you to jump out of bed and run after him. Annoying? Yes. But he makes up for it in cool points with his touch sensitive interface, bright colors, voice recorder and mp3 options.