Last week we attended a special viewing of The New York Times yearly 50 Photographs collection, for which five of today's leading taste-makers got the chance to delve into the media company's famed historic photo archives to create small, curated selections of photographs that speak to their own personal styles. Check out our favorites after the jump.Last year, it was interior designers—this year The New York Times brought together a group of fashion designers for their 50 Photographs collection. Sorting through thousands of images from The Times' photo archives dating back to the 1800's, designers Prabal Gurung, Zac Posen, Michelle Smith, Diane von Furstenberg and Vera Wang pulled together individual selections of 10 captivating images representative of their own creative voices.
Above are our favorites from the collection, but the entire show can be viewed and purchased by visiting www.nytstore.com. Images are available framed or unframed in sizes ranging 11"x14 to 20"24."
Photographs selected by designers:
1. Michelle Smith: Hold Me Tight, 1956, Alfred Wertheimer/The New York Times
2. Vera Wang: Beach Health Class, 1933, The New York Times Photo Archives
3. Zac Posen: Smog Covered Skyline, 1966, Neal Boenzi/The New York Times
4. Prabal Gurung: Afterglow, 2008, Nicole Bengiveno/The New York Times
5. Diane von Furstenberg: Dancer in White, 2008, Sara Krulwich/ The New York Times
Images: As linked above