With the introduction of FaceTime we have never wanted a tripod for our iPhone more. Seriously, have you ever tried making a long video call while holding your iPhone? It's not fun. In the spirit of being thrifty and resourceful we have perused Flickr and Instructables for DIY solutions to the iPhone tripod problem.
Of course while we think you will get the most use and have the most desire for a phone tripod while using an iPhone 4 or another video calling enabled smartphone, these projects will also work for other phones.
- The Home Depot Mount Solution: Chris made this tripod mount for his iPhone 4 out of a T-Bracket from Home Depot, which he drilled to an iPhone 4 case and riveted in place.
- "No More Wire Hangers" Mount: This tripod mount by Doug is made from a wire hanger, a 1/4x20 nut, and a few rubber bands.
- Otterbox Holster Hack Mount: Using part of the holster for an Otterbox, Instructables user Calischs created this mount.
- Sugru Smartphone Mount: Instructables user Killerjackalope created this mount for his smartphone using a food sealer clip, a tripod mount piece from a webcam, an elastic band, and of course sugru.
- Ultra Cheap DIY Bendable iPhone Tripod: This flexible iPhone tripod is brought to you by Instructables user JetricaKerempuh who used just under 10ft of hard insulated wire, a wine cork, a 2 way double light switch, and 3 wire rope clips to make this tripod for the fantastic cost of $3.50.
What are some neat DIY tripods you've seen?
(Images: Flickr member Chris Sgaraglino, Instructables members Doug Paradis, Calischs, Killerjackalope, and JetricaKerempuh licensed for use under Creative Commons)