House Beautiful is dedicated to the "secrets of comfort". We've all been in homes where we immediately felt comfortable upon entering. We've also been in houses that felt cold, stuffy and like a museum. While it's not quite scientific, we've gathered five of our favorite ways to add a touch of instant comfort to a space...
- Informal seating arrangements Giving guests (and yourself) lots of different ways to lounge instantly ups the comfort level of any home. Try grouping different pieces of furniture together to create unexpected arrangements.
- Flexible furniture Your furniture being prepared for any situation also helps add a level of casualness to a space. Showing that you're not afraid to also use your dining room table as a kid's craft table will help put guests at ease.
- Soft textures Chenille throws, linen pillows, suede sofas---altogether they will make lounging in any space super luxurious and comfortable.
- Not having things arranged perfectly Nothing screams "Don't touch anything!" like a bunch of tablescapes carefully arranged. Let the books get a little crazy on the shelves and let tabletops fall into place over time.
- Put your feet up Have plenty of coffee tables and ottomans, and don't be afraid to let people kick off their shoes and put their feet up for a good conversation or a movie.
[Photo credit: From Stephanie and Bob's Silveridge Sanctuary home tour and the Ikea Dream Home house tour.]