Feeling "blah" about your workspace? It might be time for a refresh. Ditch the big-box decor wares—well, most of them—and work in a few cool, one-of-a-kind details, like a collection of hardback books or a handmade tapestry. Here are 5 ridiculously cool real-life home office spaces, each with their own unique style, to show you how it's done.
Each of these offices are real. They weren't perfectly pieced together by room stylists at IKEA (who can somehow manage to make 320 square feet look like enough space for 4 people to live in). They're lived-in and well-worn, each with their own real-life home challenges to work through.
- Johannes G.'s cabin-like cove gets its style from wood paneling, a "soothing" family tapestry and that toasty red mug of coffee.
- This shot of RLFloyd's office is from 2008 (yikes—look at that iPod!), but it keeps a timeless flair thanks to quality hardware (lots of it!) and a simple and flexible arrangement.
- Jackcheng proves that you can keep a clean look even without shelves or drawers in your office. Just keep it simple and add a great chair.
- With a wide open plan in this office and some cool wallpapers, JosephReaddy's crowded desk manages to look productive and creative.
- This office from svenreed shares a space with a bedroom, but it keeps from looking cluttered with a mostly-white color scheme and lots of graphic artwork.