We love giving presents but we do not enjoy being thin of wallet. In trying economic times like these it often requires considerable creativity to stretch the monies enough to have a gift for everyone on the list. With the budget conscious creative DIY happy gift giver in mind, we've rounded up these 5 low budget gift ideas for the tech fan.
5 Geeky DIY Gift Ideas for Broke Gift Givers:
1) Film Canister Salt & Pepper Shakers: Put those old 35mm film canisters to good use by making them into salt and pepper shakers. Simply drill holes in the top of the canisters and voila you have salt and pepper shakers that make a great gift for that photogeek in your life.
2) Earbud Holder & Cord Wrangler: Have a leftover hotel room key and need an easy to make gift for that friend who always has their earbuds in a tangle? Follow these easy instructions to whip out an earbud holder and cord wrangler in a jiffy.
3) Keyboard Key Magnets: An oldie, but a goodie, this how to from our archives shows you how to make keyboard key magnet gift sets. We have yet to meet a geek that doesn't love these magnets and they really do make great inexpensive gifts.
4) Geeky Chocolates: Use the Space Invaders ice cube tray or the Han Solo in Carbonite to create geeky chocolates. Plain chocolate for tempering is inexpensive and once you buy the ice cube trays you can make gifts for many people on your list! Last year we bought a $10 tray and $10 worth of chocolate and it made enough gifts for 8 friends.
5) Tablet Sleeve: Even with very basic sewing skills it's easy to make a tablet sleeve. For the ultra thrifty, instead of buying fabric, use an old t-shirt, sweater, or pillowcase to make the tablet sleeve.
What are some geeky inexpensive gifts that you love to give and receive?
(Lead Image: Joelle Alcaidinho)