We were first introduced to Thom Filicia on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and fell in love. Currently, you can find Thom on Dress My Nest where he's a genius at re-creating spaces that continue to wow us. We recently checked out O at Home with Mr. Filicia spinning off 28 "No-Fail Ideas for Creating Rooms You'll Love." We've highlighted five of our favorites with before and after pics from "Dress My Nest" for a little inspiration. Thom says it best, "I'm just here to help you translate who you are into how you live. Think of me as your decorating wingman." Love it! Below are five easy things you can do in your space.
- Use more lights than you think you need, but at a lower wattage. So instead of three fixtures with 100-watt bulbs, opt for six with 40-watt bulbs.
- Having trouble getting started? Open your closet and look around. See what colors you like to wear and think about how you pull together patterns and textures to create an outfit. Your taste in clothing can be a great springboard for figuring out your own unique decorating sensibility.
- Think small. I love little occasional tables--they're so mobile and accommodating, always ready to accept a drink or a remote control.
- For visual impact, group collectibles in a single spot, rather than scattering them all over the house.
- The smaller the space, the more risks you can take. Foyers, pantries, powder rooms--these jewel boxes are your invitation to be bold and brash.
Related Tips From the Pros Posts
- Inspiration: Five Tips For Decorating On a Budget: Todd Oldham
- Ask the Designer: What is Your Favorite Decorating Trick?
- 15 Fabulous Design Tips From Jonathan Adler