If you're planning a building or renovation project, here are a few key green building tips, found at HGTV Remodels. These tips are great when considering cost effective methods of construction with long term economic benefits.
1. Avoid east and west facing windows in order to minimize the need for air conditioning.
2. Consider native or xeriscaped plants for landscaping the property. Once these plants are established, most varieties need little to no irrigation.
3. Use structural materials as design such as exposed concrete and wooden beams.
4. Leaving wood or concrete floors uncovered rather than opting for carpeting can help avoid mold formation during the winter months.
5. Installing water efficient equipment such as low flow fixtures helps to conserve water and save money in the long term.
Also when de- or reconstructing, consider researching your local recycling companies in order to reduce materials waste and cost.
Read More: HGTV Remodels
• Top 10 Green Building Projects for 2012
• 20 Posts on Green Building, Materials, and Renovation
• Green Building Material: Sheep Wool Insulation