If we've learned anything from Small Cool, it's that space challenges breed sweet creativity. Today let's look at one of the smallest of spaces that's rarely seen as the coolest, the closet. But let's forget about stuffing them with clothes and old sports gear, and focus on their more sensational potentials: bars, bedrooms, and even libraries.
Not to down play the importance of storage— it's useful for sure, it's just that these solutions may have just convinced me that I'd rather have a sweet place for mixing drinks than three winter coats, a tennis racket I never use, and fifteen pairs of shoes…
• 1. Manuela's memorable closet bedroom graced our 2007 small cool contest, and it remains one of my all time favorite Apartment Therapy submissions. The quiet color scheme and simplicity of materials makes for a very romantic 424 sq. ft. apartment.
One of my favorite Real Simple articles of all time: 3 closet transformations…
• 2. A bar! They affixed mirrors to the back and side walls to expand the space visually, added some shelves, a wine rack, and some storage— cha-ching! very cool very small space!
• 3. A library! Wrap around shelves, chic dark, glossy paint, and ample lighting turn an underused closet into a custom library destination. Because bulky bookshelves are often wallspace hogs, this solutions gets double points!
• 4. We've seen the closet office quite a few times, but Real Simple's is a personal favorite. The bright wallpaper and overhead storage make this minuscule space into a place where I wouldn't mind getting a little work done at home.
• 5. A baby changing station from Cottage Living.