Antirrhinum 'Chantilly White'
I have been writing a book since the new year, and I am finding it quite distracting. Normally my garden would have been in the ground for over a month now, but at the moment I barely have half of it planted. Trying to be practical — I don't need too many veggies forcing me to have to can this year — I am opting instead for flowers. My daughter wants to sell them at the Farmers Market later this summer.
Our market opens on August 17th, which means we have about two and half months — roughly 75 days at the earliest — until we want blooms.
I have sorted out this list of things I can take the afternoon to plant right now so that we will have flowers in time.
1. Ageratum 'Blue Horizon' - Ready for cutting in roughly 12 weeks, this tall (24") annual will provide a flush of purple-blue fuzzy flowers on long stems.
2. Antirrhinum 'Chantilly White' - Huge white Snapdragons will be pretty in the garden as well as helping us to create classically beautiful arrangements. They like the cooler temps of the Fall and Spring to finish their bloom cycle, so there is plenty of opportunity.
3. Zinnias - I am obsessing over the fiery red-orange color of Zahara Double Fire, but any of the many varieties of zinnia can be planted now for late summer and fall blooms.
4. Bishops Lace (Ammi majus) - (also called False Queen Anne's Lace). This isn't the invasive weed that many gardeners curse (The noxious weed's Latin name is Daucus carota....it is a different plant). It does, however, look very similar, so if you love that airy, wild look, this is the plant for you.
5. Euphorbia marginata 'Kilamanjaro' - I am having great luck with some recent euphorbia experiments (they really do well in my garden). So I am interested to try Euphorbia marginata 'Kilamanjaro'. Its pretty leaves will be great filler for our arrangements.
I'm curious if you plant any seeds for cutting flowers this time of year... what have been your successes?
(Images: Harris Seed, Swallowtail Garden Seeds, Henry Fields, Bountiful Gardens, Ebay)