I have a love/hate relationship with my small space. I love that I'm living simply (and have less rooms to clean,) but hate feeling that I don't have enough space to entertain, or places to hide my daily clutter. Here are five multi-tasking must-haves that have made my small space seem larger than life…Some of these ideas may not be new to you, but combining some — or all — of these small space essentials may give you the extra square footage that you've been searching for.
1. Sofa/Guest Bed: The number one space-saving, multi-purpose essential for your small space. A place to possibly lie your own head, or host your mom, friend or "distant family relative."
2. Wall Shelf/Home Office/Library: A wall shelf or floating bookcase is gold when floor space is minimal. Unlike bulky bookcases, a wall shelf can be arranged in myriad of ways to float around furniture, appliances, etc. IKEA and The Container Store have customizable storage systems or design your own out of reclaimed materials and standard wall brackets.
3. Ottoman/Additional Seating/Storage: Ottomans are a jack-of-all-trades. Not only is it place to rest your feet or substitute as a coffee table, but when you're in a bind it's a soft place for your guests to sit and chat. Add hidden storage to the mix and you're in space-saving heaven!
4. Drop-Leaf Table/Dinner for One/Party for Plenty: I have a thing for drop-leaf tables. I've had mine since college and I refuse to let it go. The perfect small space entertaining accoutrement, a drop leaf (or any table to which you can add leaves) to is a truly amazing concept! Small enough to use for your everyday dining, but expandable enough to host a monthly dinner party.
5. Lidded Storage Basket/Decorative Accent/Clutter Clearer: Baskets have saved my life …decoratively speaking! Imagine something lovely to look at, as well as a place to store your magazine stashes, extra bedding, toddler toys, paperwork, toiletries - the list goes on and on. I have a lot of baskets of all shapes and sizes in my home and wonder how I did without them!
Image 1: Monty Sleeper Sofa -Maine Cottage Furniture; 2: Elfa Storage System -The Container Store via Furniture for Your House; 3: DIY Ottoman-Design Sponge; 4: Vintage Drop-Leaf Table-Alyssa Remington via Apartment Therapy; 5: Senegal Lidded Basket-The Crabby Nook Garden