Lighting isn't just good for brightening up a room — you want it to look good, too, even when it's not turned on. We've been keeping an eye on the direction of lighting styles for a while now, and here are five of our favorite trends.
One thing you'll notice as you peruse the pictures we've chosen is that there's a lot of overlap between these categories. Taken together, these five trends provide a pretty clear picture of the current direction of lighting design.
Gold, brass, copper, and even rose gold have been a huge trend in home decor lately, and nowhere is that more true than for lighting.
These bare-bones fixtures are anything but boring.
The move towards minimalism doesn't mean there isn't room for a little drama, as these fixtures prove.
1. Petite Friture's scene-stealing Vertigo lamp comes in black, white, and even copper.
2. Dramatic lighting in a bedroom from My Domaine.
3. Here's the Vertigo again, in a space from Woon Blog.
4. The Arco lamp, a timeless classic, in a space from Vartnya Hem via Design Elements
Lamps with a sleek, industrial look, by designers like Jean Prouvé and Serge Mouille, are cropping up all over.
1. Jean Prouvé's Potence lamp, in an interior by Luis Laplace.
2. The Potence again, paired with Prouvé's standard chairs.
3. A Serge Mouille fixture in an interior from My Domaine.
4. Design Sponge
5. The Potence again, in a kitchen spotted on Desire to Inspire
What is a light fixture, anyway? If you boil it down to its very essence, it's just a light bulb, connected to a cord. We're seeing a lot of fixtures that celebrate this kind of simplicity, by paring a lamp down to its very simplest elements, and then finding ways of making these simple elements dramatic and special.