Here's how to remove red wine using white wine (from wikihow.com):
- Blot up as much of the red wine as possible from the carpet using a rag.
- Pour white wine on the carpet around the perimeter of the spill, working the white wine towards the center-this keeps the red wine from gravitating even further out into the clean part of the carpet.
- Wait about 30 seconds and then blot the area. If any residue of the stain remains, repeat step 2 above.
And if no white wine is handy, here's another option:
- Do not touch the wine.
- Cover the entire area with table salt, so that entire area affected has been covered with approximately 1/4 inch of salt.
- Leave undisturbed until completely dry, usually 12-24 hours but may take longer if it exceptionally cold or humid. During the drying process, the salt will pull up the wine.
- When completely dry, vacuum the salt up and the wine will have disappeared.